Cheddleton Flint Mill Industrial Heritage Trust
About the mill
Cheddleton Flint Mill consists of a complex of buildings
including two separate water mills, a miller's cottage, two flint
kilns, a drying kiln and outbuildings. The Caldon Canal, which
would have supplied the mill by narrow boat, passes by. The whole
complex is considered of great historical importance and has been
given Grade II* listed building status by English Heritage.
The earliest reference to milling at Cheddleton dates back to
1253. It is possible that the foundations of the South Mill date
back to this period. Another document, dating to 1694, refers to
corn milling at the site. In the late 18th century the complex was
converted to grind flint. The North Mill was built specifically
for that purpose and the South Mill was converted to grind flint
instead of corn. About the same time, the Caldon Canal was built
making transport of heavy goods to and from the mill easier. The
ground, calcined flint produced by the mill was becoming a very
important ingredient in earthenwares being produced in the nearby
Potteries. Josiah Wedgwood had successfully marketed a new product
called "creamware" which was becoming very popular.
Calcined flint is white and thermally stable, making it an
excellent ingredient in the new light-coloured wares that had
By visiting the mill one is able to gain an understanding of
the whole process from the arrival by narrow-boat, through the
calcining, grinding, settling and drying processes. The museum
building provides the historical and technical background.
above history of the mill is very simplified. One can spend hours
trying to figure out all the stages in the mill's development over
its circa 800 years lifetime.